What Is Hot Stone Massage?
Hot stone massage is a specialty massage that uses smooth, heated stones. They are often basalt, a black volcanic rock that absorbs and retains heat well.
It is a deeply soothing, relaxing form of massage. The heat helps tight muscles release.
What Happens During a Hot Stone Massage?
- Before you arrive, the massage therapist sanitizes the stones and heats them in 120 and 150 degree water.
- The therapist uses traditional strokes of Swedish massage while holding a heated stone. As the stone cools, the therapist replaces it with another.
- The therapist might also leave heated stones in specific points along your spine, or in the palms of your hand, or even between your toes to improve the flow of energy in your body.
- If you have inflammation or muscle injury, cold stones are sometimes used.
How Much Does a Hot Stone Massage Cost?
A hot stone massage is more expensive than a basic Swedish massage because it requires more preparation and usually runs longer. The Gentsroom Price List gives more details of prices and duration
What You Need To Know About Hot Stone Massage:
- The therapist uses many stones of various shapes and sizes.
- The heat of the stones helps muscles release more quickly than in traditional massage.
- You should speak up if the stones are too warm or the pressure too intense.
- Technique is very important. Less experienced practitioners sometimes use too much pressure.
- Hot stone massage was invented in 1993 by Mary Hannigan, a native of Tucson, Arizona.